Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dunescape


I started this piece with an open concept hoping to find the subject during the process. By painting broad strokes and collaging various images together to suggest specific shapes and textures I quickly arrived at an interesting composition. I envisioned a series of massive cantilevered structures that support a suspended energy pipeline that gracefully stretches across an endless dune landscape. I wanted these support structures to appear to be mostly forgotten. Their battered facades weathered by centuries of perpetual sand storms and scorching hot temperatures. I’m happy to leave this image’s background story slightly obscured. I want the viewer to ask questions and possibly superimpose his or her on narrative upon it. Who built these structures and what are they conveying? Is this scene a futuristic off-world mining operation or a dystopian Middle East?